Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm Bald!

Currently I am at Carlos' (my roommate) house in Northport on Long Island, otherwise known as the land devoid of American commercialization. The two days prior, I spent in Manhattan. Fun fun fun. 

My first full day in the city I managed to wake up pretty late and by the time I showered and got out onto the streets it was well into the afternoon. It was a very strange feeling being in the city and not having any homework to worry about, projects to be coordinating, or tests to be cramming for. Stress-free. Something that I rarely experience, especially when being in the city. It was wonderful. I was able to just cruise the streets and walk into any shops or cafes without any regard to what time it was. Anyways, I eventually made it to my Starbucks on Broadway and Bond right above SoHo and was hoping the new manager would be there (his name is Dakota Swallow. *insert joke here*). Unfortunately, with just a couple weeks on the job the man is already on vacation. 

At that time Carlos just came into the city so he came to meet me (he also used to work at that Starbucks). From there we walked around SoHo and eventually made our way back to Coral (my dorm) and then to dinner with our friend Sabrina. We went to this pretty cool Mexican place nearby called "Mexicana Mama." Food was great, but HOLY CRAP was the weather cold! Going from Scottsdale, AZ to Manhattan really messes with the mind and body. Just a few days ago I was walking around in a t-shirt and sandals. Not anymore... :( And I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to the cold now. It makes my arms and legs itchy. Gross, I know.

So after dinner everyone else had homework because well, they're not awesome enough to study abroad and are already taking classes in New York, so Carlos and I decided to go out. We went to another Mexican place in the West Village called "Maracas" for drinks. Our Prickly Pear Margaritas were $17 each. On Mondays they're $3. If anyone decides to go I suggest you go on Monday. Sangria was pretty good too. It was karaoke night and the same few people kept signing. Nothing too exceptional. 

After "Maracas" we went back to Coral to....I don't remember actually, I think we just went back because it was TOO COLD and we couldn't figure out anywhere else to go. Anyways, once we did figure out something, we headed to Broome Street, which is another NYU dorm in SoHo, to meet our friend Rachael who just came back from Lisbon, Portugal. Hi Rachael! She brought us holy candles. Bad news bears, they're not scented. 

Fast forward to the next day and I went to go get a haircut. I really want to postpone finding a good haircutter in Shanghai for as long as possible. So I went to my usual place, "Village Cuts," where I have never been disappointed. However, I was in such a hurry this time that I just bolted after it was done and didn't notice that the top was WAY to long in proportion to the sides and there was a whole chunk of hair that he didn't even cut. Sad, I have going for more than a year now and have never gotten a bad haircut.

No time to waste though. Right after my haircut I met Sabrina and Carlos for lunch, breakfast for me really, at "Cafe Angelique" in the West Village. Its a quaint little Israeli cafe not too far into the village. REALLY Good food. I got a Borka (spelling?) which is a type of potato pastry and it's really crisp on the outsides. It came with a salad and hardboiled egg. After our meal we went to "Magnolia Bakery." I didn't get anything though. I don't really like cake or traditional treats like that. I'm weird, I know. 

After that we ran back to Coral to pack and to try to make the train to Long Island. We missed it. Oops. So we sat in one of the two Starbucks in Penn Station and waited around for the next train. 

And that brings me to where I am now...Long Island. Oh yea, and BALD because the man at "Village Cuts" cut my hair way to short. Hence the name of this entry. 

So Carlos took me to his haircutter at home to fix my hair. Her name is Shala but she wasn't the one who did the fixing. A guy there did it, and he made it better. But there was a woman there talking to Shala who has a sister in Scottsdale! We quickly became best friends. 

For dinner, Carlos' parents took us to a Japanese restaurant sort of like "Benihana" back home in Scottsdale but it was called "Samurai." I got a salmon hibachi dish. Mmmm! :)

After that we went to Carlos' sisters' house and we all played Cranium. We got buffalo wings and pizza. Fun times. 

(sorry my entry is getting less and less detailed as I write, I am about ready to pass out).

Anywayyysyysyssysssssssss. I AM LEAVING TOMORROW FOR SHANGHAI!

In other news, Michael Phelps smokes pot? Not surprised. 

1 comment:

  1. ah my first shout out...yes!

    you're right, too bad they weren't scented, what were the catholic monks thinking when they first made them???

    ReplyDelete